Monday, July 13, 2009

El primer día de mis clases

I awoke this morning to a nice little knock on my door from a girl I met last night, who promised to wake me due to my lack of alarm clock. I can´t imagine she will do that everyday, so I plan to buy one today. The morning was nice and relaxed. I went to breakfast, in a cafeteria style place. There I had a very typical Spanish breakfast; crossiant, cafe con leche y una pieza de fruta. Wow, I just realized that I had began to type in Spanish (this is a good sign for me, but not so good for those who are reading, sorry). I sat with my new friend Beth, a girl from Romania, a girl from Portugal and an Italian girl!  Wow, so between all of us it was a surprisingly quiet breakfast.  We spoke about the deaths from the running of the bulls this week, and a bit about where we were all from.  After breakfast they broke us into our groups for class.  I am with a group of about 20 other professors/teachers from all over the world.  It's wonderful because we have to speak in Spanish.  Fortunately, I've made friends with a girl named Camilia who is staying in the room next to me and is in my class.  She is from Brazil and we speak very well together *that sounds funny, but my mind is already having a hard time with the language translation*.  Class was more of a meet and greet followed by a writing and reading test to see where we needed help.  Pues, I just came back from lunch with a guy from Romania and my new friend.  It is siesta here, then to a meeting at 5.  Chao chao todos. 

3 comments:

Pam Senay said...

Hi Trisha,
Any word from Joey, yet? Wonder if he's still on the path with no access to a phone or cafe...let me know when you hear from him, ok?
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Trisha,

(Posted Saturday July 18, 11:30 EST)

What a whirlwind trip with a very happy conclusion!

Have a good rest of your stay and try to avoid English during the day (other than emailing your friends/family). Blog in Spanish, read Spanish newspapers, watch Spanish television, etc. When Joey and Emily were travelling last year I sent them 'palabras del dia' to reinforce their vocabulary. It will be more difficult with you since your fluency is much better, but I will try a few times to give you some words that may be a bit obscure.


Palabras del dia:

1) (el)consejo: advice. Por ejemplo -- Consejo de la semana: No hables o pienses en ingles y mejoraras tu espanol.


2)(el) calambre (cramp). "Despues de haber caminado 50 kilometros, tuve calambres en ambas piernas."

Abur,

El padre de Pepe

Kim said...

what about the segundo dia?? I need some updates Trisha!! Nothing from Joey and nothing from you in so many days!!