Saturday, July 25, 2009

Santiago Saturday













Oh, what a weekend. I started to celebrate a little early by skipping classes yesterday so that I could get my rest and be ready for last night´s festival. :) After waking up around 11, having my very Spanish breakfast of toast and coffee, I headed into town to get a few errands done (shampoo, money; you know, all the travel errands that don´t bother you when your traveling). I managed to run into my little group of girls that I´ve made friends with here, and made plans for the festivities. Oh what a day!

After going out and being part of the thousands that were 0ut and about, we found ourselves at a little cafe with sangria and beers all around. The park here is filled with rides, and cotton candy- like any good carnival should be. We decided not to actually ride any of them, mostly due to American Carnies who have affected all trust in carnival rides throughout the world. But, really this post has nothing to do with the carnival, and everything to do with why I was most excited to come to Santiago in July- FIREWORKS!!!!

So, picture walking up to the main cathedral plaza, two hours before the show, and seeing it filled with thousands of people! Wow, so the rumors I heard were definitely true- get there early!!! We managed to fanagle our way to a spot, where we could see most things, busted out the cards for a game of Go Fish (what else do you play with 3 people?), and began the wait. This is where Spain has no appeal to me at all. Two hours of smoking, pushing and loud people was a little rough. It´s amazing how really EVERYONE smokes. But, we endured it, and at 11:30 on the dot everything went black.

People began to cheer, a indescribably spooky music began to play, and the cathedral was lit up in a deep blue. From that point on, it was one of the most AMAZING experinces of my life. I feel that everyone should be here on July24th once in their lives to see what I saw. Lights, music and fireworks all in beautiful sync to celebrate the city and the story of Santiago; to create an unforgetable experience. Literally for one full hour the most amazing and beautiful live art I have ever seen was created. I tried to take videos (and when I go home will have to ask Joey to help me share) to capture what was happening, but nothing compares to standing there and experincing something like that. WOW!!!

So, at 2 am, we were very, very tired. We started to make our way back through the people drinking and partying in the park. I can only imagined they were there all night. I woke up to a park full of trash, beer bottles and wondered how that was all there for the religious festival? To each his own. I will post some pics and hope they show a little glimpse of my day for the dear Saint.

much peace. Trisha





p.s. I included a video from the Ojos de Brujo concert too!


















1 comment:

Joey said...

That was such a cool set of videos at the bottom. Next year being a Jubilee year must be crazy!

I miss you!

--Joey